Jojoba oil acne treatments are unique in their approach to the embarrassing skin condition. The oil is taken from the seed of the jojoba tree which is endemic to southern Arizona, southern California and northwestern Mexico. The oil has many known benefits and has acted as a successful replacement of whale oil in many cosmetic products due to the fact that it:
- Doesn’t perish, enabling it to remain useful after long periods of time
- Is easily absorbed by the skin
- Moisturizes skin
- Increases elasticity in skin
- Reduces inflammation
How it Works
Acne is the result of the body over producing the skins natural oil; sebum. Whilst regular amounts of sebum help to protect the skin and keep it healthy, too much of the oil clogs the pores around the hair follicles. When this happens, a perfect breeding ground for acne causing bacteria is formed and breakouts appear.
Jojoba oil is used in the way of acne treatment because it has anti-inflammatory properties which help to sooth the sore, red spots produced by aggressive acne. However it is the nature of the oil itself which is thought to be the biggest combatant against acne.
Jojoba oil is actually what is known as a wax ester. Wax ester is the most similar natural compound known to sebum. It may seem odd to use more of what is causing the problem as a solution. However some experts believe that by applying the jojoba oil to the skin daily, the skin will assume that enough sebum is being made and begin to regulate its production to normal levels.
The jojoba oil is incredible in that it can be used to cleanse the skin, spot treat acne, and moisturize all skin types. All three factors serve to treat and prevent acne breakouts.
Cleansing With Jojoba Oil
Using oil to clean the skin might seem strange but jojoba oil is able to remove impurities from the pores by literally sticking to them, and dragging them out.
- Rub a teaspoon of the oil into the desired area. More pressure should be applied to spots where there are notable outbreaks.
- Continue to massage the oil into the skin so that it is able to make contact with as many impurities in and around the pores as possible.
- Place a clean hot towel over the area and leave to cool naturally. This will serve to open the pores so that the oils and impurities are released.
- Use the towel to wipe away the excess oil left on the skin.
Acne Spot Treatment With Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil can be placed directly onto blemishes to reduce their appearance. It is possible to use the oil on its own, but an effective way to make the oil last longer and to add even more acne fighting qualities to the skin, users may combine the waxy substance with tea tree oil.
- Mix one teaspoon of jojoba oil with five drops of tea tree oil.
- Use cotton wool to apply the solution directly onto blemishes.
- The solution does not need to be rinsed.
This can be done three times daily, until the outbreak has subsided.
Moisturize With Jojoba Oil
After cleansing the skin thoroughly, massaging a small amount of jojoba oil into the area thoroughly will act to break down any unnecessary sebum in the pores of the skin whilst locking in moisture. This method can be used on all skin types.