Aloe Vera acne treatments will not come as a shock to many people. The aloe vera plant with its gel contained within its leaves has been used in medicines as a solution to a variety of ailments for literally thousands of years.
For centuries, aloe vera has been used to treat wounds, heal burns, repair damaged skin and help with the digestive system. The reason for its effectiveness in all of these ailments is that aloe vera contains what are known as polysaccharides. These polysaccharides have many benefits, one of which is to strengthen the skin cells. It is this ability to strengthen the skin within the body (such as the lining of the bowel) and externally that allows the aloe vera gel to promote healing.
Aloe Vera for Acne
The use of aloe vera for acne treatments is known to soothe and cool the inflamed skin where the acne breakouts have occurred. However, there are a number of other properties to the gel which work to fight the effects of acne.
- Anesthetic – The gel possesses some of the same compounds which are found in aspirin products. It is this that alleviates the soreness of acne spots that have progressed to the painful red, itchy stage.
- High absorption – Aloe vera is able to penetrate the skin by absorption better than many other ingredients and as such, serves to be an effective carrier of other acne fighting agents if a person is using a mask of some kind with many ingredients that might otherwise have difficulty penetrating the skin.
- Anti-bacterial – When used in high concentration (such as directly from the plant itself in its purist form), studies have shown that aloe vera can kill many known bacteria and helps to rid the skin of the troublesome acne causing bacteria.
- Anti-inflammatory – There is an abundance of salicylic acid found within the gel which is used widely to reduce inflammation. This helps to reduce spots and lesions left by acne.
- Promotes healthy skin growth – Agents found within aloe vera are known to be vital in the promotion of collagen, healing the skin and actively promoting healthy skin regeneration.
Aloe Vera Home Remedies
The simplest way to use aloe vera is to apply the gel directly to the desired area. The gel can be bought from a pharmacy or if a plant is owned, the gel can be harvested directly from it by breaking the leaves.
Another way to utilize the healing properties of the plant is to take two large leaves from the plant and blend them in a food processor. Drink the juice twice daily for a week. This has the added benefit of working from the inside out and treating the whole body to a spot of rejuvenation.
Aloe vera is used to manage mild to moderate acne by diminishing existing spots and treating acne scars with its vast healing qualities. It is not considered to be a cure for acne all together but is definitely one of the few natural remedies that is considered to truly make a positive impact on the effects of acne. The gel can be used anywhere on the body.